Club History

The Cottesloe Tennis Club has been established for more than 100 years, and is one of the oldest in Western Australia.

Early in 1903 a group of tennis enthusiasts, undeterred by the fact that they had no courts of their own, formed Cottesloe Tennis Club, its members of the time immediately participating in Pennant competitions organised by the Tennis Association. The Club thrived on inter-club competitions, and by the end of the year financial sponsorhip enabled members to establish two bitumen courts in Irvine Street. In 1910 it changed its name to become the Cottesloe Lawn Tennis Club, however by 1919 the formal club had ceased to exist.

In 1924, with the support of the Cottesloe Town Council and residents, the Club re-located to a public reserve at the corner of Marine Parade and Warnham Street, where four courts were established, along with a small club house. These facilities were progressively extended and by 1928 Cottesloe Tennis Club had seven courts and a much more substantial club house.

Steady growth brought with it the need to develop more courts and in 1938 the Club moved once more to its present home at the corner of Broome and Napier Streets where it established fifteen courts.

As membership grew in line with the steady growth of Cottesloe and surrounding suburbs more courts were added, and today the Club is one of the largest in the State, with 23 top quality grasscourts and 6 hardcourts.

By 2005 the Club had substantially upgraded and expanded its club house to include comfortable changerooms and modern catering and bar facilties to provide members with a first-class environment in which to socialise and enjoy the magnificent ocean views.

With almost 500 members Cottesloe Tennis Club has matured into one of the leading tennis clubs in Western Australia and is an important part of the social and sporting fabric of the local community.

If interested you can access a copy of our Club Constitution via the link below:

Club Constitution

Details of the Club’s history can be found in the book “Our Club – A History of the Cottesloe Tennis Club” by Pat Adamson published by Hawthorn Press in 1992 (ISBN 0 646 12548 6)